Evaluation
In this assignment I had to do some research on the music
industry and file sharing and prepare a piece of feature journalism on the
changing face of the music industry for a magazine of my choice which was
Glamour who mainly target teenage girls and women up to the age of around 49.
I had to research the positive and negative aspects of file
sharing and music piracy and the effects on the audience, the music industry,
artists and the sites offering file sharing.
My first source of information was an article from BBC Newsbeat. It
talked about how piracy started in the early 2000s and how it has grown to the
present day. After gaining an insight into the world of file sharing I decided
to research more into the topic getting more facts from sources such as the BBC
and BPI and copying them onto a word document. I then shared my ideas with my
group and after the class debate, had enough information to cover both sides of
the argument. I think researching in favour of the proposition given to us (“illegal
file sharing is destroying the music industry”) wasn’t very difficult because
there are a lot of facts to support the statement online from valid sources
including how file sharing has affected the music industry in the past, and
what affect it will have on it in the future. Sharing ideas with the class was
also very useful because I was able to gather a wide selection of arguments for
both the affirmative and negative sides of the proposition. Finding valid
articles in favour of file sharing was a bit difficult as I wasn’t able to find
many valuable sources. Most of the articles I found were just what other people
had posted as their opinion, there weren’t many facts.
I didn’t find the journalistic part of the project difficult.
I found it quite enjoyable as I would say I am quite good at writing. I don’t
think my writing is boring and I try to engage the reader by using rhetorical
questions to get the reader involved.
I was new to using InDesign but I don’t think it was very
difficult. I used rulers to create margins and textboxes so layout my article
the way I wanted it. I inserted images and resized them to the size I found
appropriate. I used different fonts for my texts and different colours. I also
included captions in my article so the reader was aware on what the images were
showing. I wrote these captions in brackets but after getting feedback, I got
rid of the brackets and decided to put the captions in a different colour so
the reader wouldn’t confuse it with the article. I then exported my article to
a JPEG file ready to upload in onto Blogger.
I wasn’t able to assess my web Publishing skills because I
wasn’t able to publish my article onto my blog as the network wouldn’t allow
me.
I then decided to get feedback from some of my peers. I got
positive feedback on the colours I used, fonts, and images but I also got
constructive criticism on some aspects of my article that I could improve. I
was told that I could’ve included an introduction to let the reader know
exactly what the article was going to be about. Also, I was told that the
second to last paragraph may have forgotten the target audience because as a
reader, it wasn’t understood. Also, I was told that the font size didn’t look
consistent.
Overall, I think that in this assignment I performed quite
well seeing as it was my first time using InDesign and even though I could have
improved my layout/text size etc., I believe that my work was of a good
standard.
No comments:
Post a Comment